The Waterloo Public Library is a designated U.S. Department of State Passport Acceptance Facility. Passport services are available during library hours, up to 60 minutes before closing time. No appointment is necessary, but patrons are strongly encouraged to call ahead to ensure staff is available to assist. In addition to any fees owed the US State Department, patrons using this service must pay the Waterloo Public Library $35.00 per passport application.
Applicants must complete the following checklist. Missing information will result in a delay in your passport processing time. The Library does not guarantee the US State Department will approve passport applications.
- Complete DS-11 passport application. This form should be completed in black ink and have no white-out or scribbling. Do not sign the application until meeting with our passport services staff. Copies of this form are available at the Library or can be downloaded from the State Department’s website.
- Appear in person. All ages. No exceptions for children.
- Present valid Iowa State Driver License or valid government ID. The U.S. Dept. of State will not accept temporary paper licenses.
- Present proof of U.S. Citizenship. Accepted forms are: original birth certificate, U.S. Passport or original naturalization certificate. (If you do not have an original birth certificate, you must contact the Vital Records Office for the county in which you were born to obtain a certified copy. The Library is not able to contact the Vital Records Office on anyone’s behalf.)
- Provide one passport photo (see Form DS-11 for specifications).
- Pay the required fees to the U.S. Dept. of State (check or money order only). Families may write one check or money order to the U.S. Department of State for their passport application fees if they are applying in person at the same time. For all other applicants, separate checks must be made for each application. See Fees section.
- Pay the required $35.00 fee to the Waterloo Public Library. Cash, check, or money order only.
For further details or other information, visit the Department of State passport website at travel.state.gov
Amended by Board of Trustees. 7/8/2021
Approved by Board of Trustees. 1/14/2020